Thursday, June 30, 2011

S'mores & Birthday's Are The Perfect Combination

I very much dislike s'mores!!!!  I don't hate them, but I don't particularly care for them. 


Why do I dislike them you may ask.  Well, they are sticky.  I don't like sticky foods.  Usually you have them while camping.  I'm not a camper!  They involve marshmallow's.  I don't like marshmallow, except for those sugar covered peeps at Easter. 


My son, however, thinks s'mores are the very best food ever invented.  I am sure that if I would let him, he would eat them morning, noon, and night!  Today also happened to be his birthday.  Is there a better way to celebrate than combining both of our favorite things?  Cupcakes and s'mores!!!!  Yummy!!!!


Yes, that is marshmallow coming out of the top! OMG, really, I think THIS was the best idea ever!!!!!!!!!!!  While they were a little fussy to make (I don't usually do fuss), they were incredible! 


Then I frosted them...with MARSHMALLOW frosting!  I know before that I do not prefer marshmallows...I was wrong!!  I wanted to eat a big bowl of frosting.  It is my new favorite. 


I don't even want to share these, they were so good.  But, it was my son's birthday.  So...HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!!!


Right after this picture, he claimed it was the best birthday ever. Then we played Rock Band...I'm awesome at it!  I think there will need to be a contest soon.  We'll leave that to another post! 

_________________________________________________________

S'MORES CUPCAKES

Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup oil
6 - 8 jumbo marshmallows cut in half

Graham Cracker Crumb topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together with a wire whisk.
Separate the mixture in half into two bowls.
Stir cocoa into one bowl and the graham cracker crumbs into the other.
Add 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 cup oil to the cocoa mixture and beat on medium until combined.
Repeat adding the same ingredients to the graham cracker crumb flour mixture.
Prepare the graham cracker crumb topping.
Add the brown sugar and crumbs in a small bowl and pour on the melted butter. Stir until combined.
Pour a little graham cracker cake batter into the bottom of your baking cups and then sprinkle the topping mixture lightly on the surface.
Place a marshmallow half on top and then cover the marshmallow with the chocolate cake batter until it is about 3/4 full.
Sprinkle with more topping mixture.
Bake cupcakes for about 15 minutes. Place a cookie sheet underneath when you bake just in case. I had a little bit ooze over into the oven. Oops.
This recipe will make at least 12 cupcakes. I had a some batter from each left over so you can probably get more like 14-16.


MARSHMALLOW FROSTING

4 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tub (16oz) marshmallow cream (I used Fluff)

Instructions:
In a large bowl, mix butter until cream.  Beat in 1/4 of the sugar until fluffy, repeat with remaining sugar.  Beat in vanilla, then stir in marshmallow cream until well blended.

1 comment:

  1. These look amazing! I love s'mores AND cupcakes... so these probably need to happen soon. Like right now.

    ReplyDelete